12th World Press Freedom International Editorial Cartoon Competition, Canada
1. The theme for the 12th Competition: Power to the People: Citizens and Social Media
The year 2011 will be remembered for the ways social media — including the use of smart phones, Twitter and Facebook - ignited struggles for democracy across the globe. Images of rage in Tunisia, after a fruit vendor set himself on fire to protest police actions, of police brutality in Egypt's Tahrir Square, and of the dead body of dictator Muammar Gaddafi went "viral" within minutes. "Texting" created "flash mobs" during riots in London, Madrid and Athens. The Internet fueled the Occupy Wall Street movement and protests against electoral fraud in Russia. What is the impact of social media on our world?
2. Prizes: three prizes will be given: a first prize of $1500 plus a Certificate from Canadian UNESCO, a second prize of $750 and a third of $500. All sums are in Canadian dollars. Ten additional cartoons will receive an ‘Award of Excellence,’ Regrettably no financial remuneration accompanies the Awards of Excellence.
3. Only one cartoon will be accepted from each cartoonist. It may be either in color or black and white and must not have won an award.
4. The size of the cartoon should not exceed A4; 21 by 29.2 cm; or 8.50 by 11 inches.
5. The name, address, telephone number and a short biography of the cartoonistmust be included in the submission.
6. The Canadian Committee for World Press Freedom shall have the rights to use any of the cartoons entered in the Competition for promotion of our Editorial Cartoon Competition and World Press Freedom Day.
7. The winners of the Cartoon Competition will be announced at the World Press Freedom Day Luncheon held at the National Arts Centre in Ottawa, Canada on May 3, 2012 as well as being advised by e-mail.
The winner’s names and their cartoons will be posted on the CCWFP website: http://www.ccwpf-cclpm.ca/
8. The winning cartoons will be exhibited at the luncheon.
The deadline for receipt of cartoons is 5 p.m. GMT, Friday, March 30, 2012.
Send submissions by e-mail to : email@example.com
Cartoons should be in jpeg format at 300 dpi.