21st INTERNATIONAL BIENNIAL OF HUMOUR AND SATIRE IN THE ARTS
'THE WORLD LASTS BECAUSE IT LAUGHS'
GABROVO 2013, BULGARIA
18th May – 30th September
CONDITIONS OF ENTRY
1.This International Competition and Exhibit recognizes the highest contemporary achievements of humour and satire in the following CATEGORIES, each to have its own exhibition area:
- GRAPHICS & DRAWINGS
2.SUBJECT MATTER: FREE of choice, however, interpreted by the means of the comic.
Museum HOUSE OF HUMOUR AND SATIRE, Gabrovo Municipality, the Ministry of Culture and the Ministry of Health of the Republic of Bulgaria; the Organizing Committee is chaired by the Mayor of Gabrovo.
18th May, 2013, at 11:00 a.m., Museum HOUSE OF HUMOUR AND SATIRE, Gabrovo.
The selected works will be on show at the Museum from 18 May until 30 September, 2013.
A jury of professional artists and former Biennial winners selects the works and awards the prizes. The decisions of the jury are final and there is no appeal.
* GRAND PRIX – the GOLDEN AESOP statuette, 2 000 BGN, a certificate and an invitation to hold a solo show at Biennial 2015;
* PRIZE of the town of GABROVO – the GASCAR statuette, 1 500 BGN and a certificate;
* Prizes (six) of the Ministry of Culture of the Republic of Bulgaria – 1 000 BGN each and a certificate in each category;
* Prize of the Museum HOUSE OF HUMOUR AND SATIRE – The World Lasts Because It Laughs plaque, a substantial prize to the value of 400 BGN and a certificate;
* Prize of Rotary Club-Gabrovo – Gabrovo suitcase and a 'visa' for the world over, 100 € pocket money and a certificate;
* Young Talent Prize of LIONS CLUB-Gabrovo – 500 BGN and a certificate.
* Prize for Best CARTOON supporting the fight against tobacco consumption awarded by the Ministry of Health of the Republic of Bulgaria – 500 BGN and a certificate;
* Prize for Best CARTOON supporting the fight against alcohol abuse awarded by the Ministry of Health of the Republic of Bulgaria – 500 BGN and a certificate;
* Prize for Best CARTOON on Safeguarding Nature awarded by the Directorate of CENTRALBALKAN National Park – a 3-day visit to CENTRAL BALKAN National Park and a certificate;
* Prize for Best CARTOON on Gabrovo subject matter awarded by Gabrovo Planet Society a statuette,100 BGN and a certificate;
* Prize for SCULPTURE awarded by Skalni Materiali JS Co-Rousse – 2 000 BGN and a certificate;
* Prize for SCULPTURE awarded to a young sculptor (up to 35 yrs.) by Skalni Materiali JS Co-Rousse – 1 000 BGN and a certificate;
* Prize for the funniest PHOTOGRAPH awarded by Photographic Systems, Ltd. – a professional Lowepro photo backpack and a certificate;
* Prize for Best POSTER supporting the fight against smoking awarded by Coalition for Life without Tobacco Smoke – 500 BGN, printing of the poster and a certificate.
The prize winning works remain in the Humour of the Peoples art collection of the Museum HOUSE OF HUMOUR AND SATIRE. The latter reserves the right to extend personal invitations to the prize winners to attend the prize-awarding ceremony. The cash prizes in BGN (Bulgarian Leva) are subject to taxation in conformity with Bulgarian law. The prizes can be received no later than December 31, 2013.
GENERAL ENTRY RULES
The competition is open to all artists who accept the conditions of entry. The working languages are Bulgarian and English. In case of disagreement on the interpretation of the text, the Bulgarian text is the valid one.
2. DEADLINE FOR RECEIVING ENTRIES: March 1st 2013
ADDRESS: Museum HOUSE OF HUMOUR AND SATIRE
68, Bryanska St., P. O. Box 104, 5300 Gabrovo, BULGARIA
Tel. /+359 66/ 807229; 803526; 804945;
Fax: /+359 66/ 806989
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org ; email@example.com .
The conditions of entry (in Bulgarian, English, German, French and Russian), the jury members and the recognition of the entries received, selected and awarded can be viewed at.
3. All art works should be originals signed by the entrants and entrants' property. Works submitted by e-mail or awarded before will NOT be accepted. Any technique is acceptable.
4. MAXIMUM SIZES
- CARTOONS A4 (29,7 x 21 cm)
- GRAPHICS & DRAWINGS 70 x 100 cm
- PAINTINGS 150 x 150 cm
- SCULPTURE 80 cm maximum height and 20 kg maximum weight
- POSTERS 70 x 100 cm
- PHOTOGRAPHS 30 x 40 cm
5. Each artist may submit no more than 2 entries for each category; the cartoons should be “without words”; the sculptures should be made of durable material.
6. The artist's name, title of the work, year of creation, technique, size (and the weight for sculptures), value and category type should be printed on the back of each entry. Each work should be accompanied by an entry form completed in capital block letters. Works without a duly filled-in entry form will not be considered by the jury.
7. Unless indicated otherwise, all entries submitted will be considered donations to the Humour of the Peoples collection at the Museum HOUSE OF HUMOUR AND SATIRE; therefore, artists are requested to complete and sign the Certificate of Donation on the entry form. The organizers greatly appreciate these donations which will significantly enhance the international collections to be enjoyed by all. The donors' names will be listed on the homepage of the Museum HOUSE OF HUMOUR AND SATIRE; the donated works will be shown in future exhibitions both in Bulgaria and abroad.
8. Artists who explicitly indicate TO BE RETURNED on the entry form can collect their works in person at the Museum HOUSE OF HUMOUR AND SATIRE from 1st October until 30th November, 2013 or will have their works returned at their expense by post or express services by 30th November, 2013 to an address indicated by them. The Museum HOUSE OF HUMOUR AND SATIRE bears no responsibility for the storage of the works unclaimed until 30th November, 2013.
9. All entries should be sent by post or express services as printed matter with PRINTED MATTER and NO COMMERCIAL VALUE noted on the package.
10. Artists should cover the transport costs franco Gabrovo. The organizers will not collect packages sent franco other destinations. All customs dues and landing charges payable upon the receipt and the return of the works should be covered by the artists who will be personally notified of the exact amount.
11. The Museum HOUSE OF HUMOUR AND SATIRE guarantees the safety of the works from the date of receipt to the date of return. No responsibility is assumed for damage or loss during transit. It is recommended that the works should be insured in advance.
12. The Museum HOUSE OF HUMOUR AND SATIRE reserves the right to reproduce the works on display and have them printed in its publications and other publicity materials.
13. The Museum HOUSE OF HUMOUR AND SATIRE publishes an art catalogue of the exhibition. Only artists with selected works are entitled to a free copy. The catalogue is available at the museum gift shop.
14. The organizers guarantee that the artists' personal data will be processed as it is stipulated in the Personal Data Protection Act in force in the Republic of Bulgaria now.
15. The conditions of entry are contractually binding. By submitting works to the Biennial Exhibition artists agree to the terms of this contract.
ALL ENTRANTS ARE KINDLY INVITED TO VISIT GABROVO ON 18th MAY, 2013 AND ATTEND THE OPENING AND PRIZE-AWARDING CEREMONIES OF THE 21st INTERNATIONAL BIENNIAL OF HUMOUR AND SATIRE IN THE ARTS, AS WELL AS ENJOY THE HUMOUR CARNIVAL IN TOWN.
Regulation in languages & Entry-Form: http://humorhouse.globcom.net/engl/bienale/condition.html .