On Thursday, 1st April 2021, an exhibition of the best competing works, a festive announcement of the results and the handing of prizes to the most successful authors of the 27th competition in accordance with the Jury´s decision will take place as follows:
GRAND PRIZE (Grand Prix) Golden Keg and € 500
1st Prize Small GOLDEN KEG and € 200
2nd Prize Small GOLDEN KEG and € 150
3rd Prize Small Golden KEG and € 100.
• The Jury of the competition reserves the right not to award some of the prizes, to modify the amounts of the financial rewards and/or to award more prizes and/or honorary mentions.
• The organisers will accept for the competition all works that will be delivered at the address of the Šarišská gallery in Prešov by Friday 26th February 2021.
• The organisers of the competition reserve the right to publish selected works in promotional materials and to reinstall the exhibition.
The diploma and the exhibition catalogue will be received in print by every awarded author and in the electronic form by every participating author who also provides his or her e-mail address. Main prizes and financial rewards can be received by an awarded author only in person on 1st April or through a person authorised by him/her.
Each author can send at maximum five original works, including graphic techniques.
The competition is open to anybody and everybody, and it is not restricted in terms of artistic design methods.
The formats of the works should not exceed the A4 dimensions.
The competition is non-anonymous. Each work should be signed on the reverse and bear the author´s full address.
The rewarded works will become property of the BEER GALLERY in Prešov.
Send your works at the address:
(Mr. Fedor VICO)
ul. Hlavná 51, 080 01 Prešov
Please clearly mark the envelope with the word „PIVO“.
We wish the participation of cartoonists from all around the world this year by organizing internationally the cartoon contest that we have organized nationally for three years.
We’ve decided the topic of the contest as Climate Change and Organic Agriculture.
Our world becomes more and more uninhabitable in time. Because of unconscious behaviors of humankind such as harming green areas, blue seas, clean water resources and clean air; they actually didn’t realize that they harmed themselves.
Negative behaviors disrupted the balance of the world. Natural conditions changed. On the one hand, the danger of drought; on the other hand, global warming and the rapid destruction of natural areas are the unique reasons why calamity and natural disasters are often threatening humankind. Accordingly, the damage to the agricultural areas has increased the share of inorganic nutritions and GMO (genetically modified organism) foods in the market and naturally proportion in the food chain. The use of hybrid seeds has also endangered the future of sustainable natural agriculture.
The importance of organic agriculture is obvious for healthy nutrition and consequently the future of humanity.
We have implemented and developed many environmentally-kind projects in order to increase the proportion of Denizli's green areas, to protect and save water resources, to minimize the pollution of the air we breathe and to recycle waste and garbage for the nature.
We have worked for forming organic aggriculture areas and directing farmers to organic aggriculture besides raising the awareness of our public. Furthermore, our works still keep on.
We wanted to bring up Climate Change and Organic Agriculture, we see it as a problem that threatens the whole world, with your valuable interpretations as master cartoonists. Thus, we desired to contribute to the awareness of people.
I thank you and wish you success.
Denizli Metropolitan Municipality.
TERMS & CONDITIONS:
1. The topic of the contest: Climate Change and Organic Agriculture
2.Deadline: Cartoons must be uploaded on eng.denizli.bel.tr (official municipality website) until 12.00 (a.m) 7 March 2021, on Sunday.
3.The contest is open to amateur and professional cartoonists all over the world.
4. It is not required that the cartoons which will be sent to the contest have been published or not in previous contests. However, the cartoons you will send must not have been awarded in another contest before. Cartoons that the selection committee (jury) deems the same or similar or the ones specified as another cartoonist’s belonging by the committee will not be evaluated.
5.You can participate in the contest with maximum three cartoons.
6. Cartoonists will send their cartoons digitally to our contest. Every cartoon must be in A4 size, between 150-300 dpi, JPEG format and minumum 1 MB maximum 10 MB capacity.
7. Some cartoons which will be choosen from among the received cartoons by the jury will be collected in a cartoon album. The works of cartoon deemed worthy to be exhibited will also be displayed whenever and whereever Denizli Metropolitan Municipality deems suitable. No fee will be paid for the works of cartoon choosen by the jury for the exhibition and the album.
8. One-night accommodation and meal expenses of the winners of the cartoon contest will be provided by Denizli Metropolitan Municipality.
9. Selection committee (The Jury Members)
* Serhat Akbulut (Assistant General Secretary)
* Hüdaverdi Otaklı (Head of Culture and Social Affairs Department) - Coordinator
* Arif Duru (Director of Culture and Art)
* Şevket Yalaz (Cartoonist)
* Savaş Ünlü (Humourist)
* Mehmet Selçuk (Cartoonist)
* Abdülkadir Uslu (Cartoonist)
* Altan Özeskici (Cartoonist)
* Ali Şur (Cartoonist)
* Kübra Deligöz (Cartoonist).
First Prize Winner: 7500 TL
Second Prize Winner: 5000 TL
Third Prize Winner:3500 TL
Honorable Mention (3 pieces of prize): 1500 TL
The Prize for Under 18 Years Old (2 pieces of prize): 750 TL.
11. The Calendar of Contest:
A.The deadline application to contest is 7 March 2021, 12.00 (a.m) on Sunday.
B.The evaluation meeting of the jury will be conducted on 13 March 2021 (on Saturday) and 14 March 2021 (on Sunday).
D. Prize-giving Ceremony: Because of Covid-19 pandemic, how and when ceremony will be conducted depends on Denizli Metropolitan Municipality.
12. No matter cartoons get reward or not, Denizli Metropolitan Municipality will become right owner to use all cartoons providing that participants’ names are clearly mentioned, in accordance with the law No.5846.
The participants will have accepted that the rights of use their works will be transferred to Denizli Metropolitan Municipality free of charge to be used in all activities, promotions, events and trainings of Denizli Metropolitan Municipality. In addition, The Municipality has rights of use their works for providing materials such as poster, catalogue, brochure, gifted book and etc. and publishing in the media. Furthermore, Denizli Metropolitan Municipality has also the rights of use their works to reproduce, disseminate, distribute and demonstrate.
The works of the participant, which received or did not receive an award, can be used in print media, radio and television and also other mass media in accordance with the purposes of Denizli Metropolitan Municipality, from the moment of the delivery. Moreover, participants accept and undertake that Denizli Metropolitan Municipality takes over the rights of use the their works by means of broadcasts on the internet, brochures, catalogues, agendas, posters, CDs, DVDs and each digital media or calendars.
The participant declares that the work sent to the contest belongs entirely to herself/himself. Due to this work, the participant undertakes that she/he is the sole and absolute addressee of the requests of third parties that may arise from Law No:5846 (Intellectual and Artistic Works) and other laws. Besides, the participant also accepts that the legal and criminal responsibility for the work belongs entirely to himself/herself. In addition, the participant undertakes that Denizli Metropolitan Municipality does not have any legal and criminal liability regarding the matters forementioned (the right of recourse to the owner of the work is reserved).
The right of the works belongs to Denizli Metropolitan Municipality as the organizing institution of the contest and the owner of the work.
13. Participants are deemed to have already accepted the terms & conditions of the contest and jury decisions. If disagreements between Denizli Metropolitan Municipality and contestant arise in regards to undefined matters in the agreement or in case of doubt, the selection committee (jury) will arbitrate between both sides. In case of disagreement, this commitee will be authorized.
14. Contact Information:
Arif Duru (Director of Culture and Art) : +90 (258) 280 25 68
HEALTH is the main theme
For the PortoCartoon 2021
Luther King and Maria João Pires
- Special Caricature Awards
PortoCartoon (an initiative of the Portuguese Printing Pres Museum) will continue to follow the UN principles, Health is the the main theme chosen for 2021.
The invitation to participate was just been made to cartoonists around the world (
Placed as the 3rd SDG (Sustainable Development Goals), in 2015, health is today the main pillar for the defense of humanity. COVID-19 - a virus without borders and still uncontrollable - has become the "main threat to the world security", according to the UN General Secretary, António Guterres.
Following the line started in 2013, with the introduction of the Caricature award in PortoCartoon, the choice for 2021 was the Nobel Peace Prize winner Luther King, who was murdered in 1968. The current situation in the world, the frequent violation of Human Rights and the need to social transformation for a better and free world, for all races - especially the most segregated ones -, gives relevance to this choice.
The other chosen figure was the Portuguese pianist Maria João Pires, whose "way of playing the piano has often been described as magical, captivating and deeply poetic" (Deutsche Grammophon). With an international career and more than 140 albums edited, Maria João Pires is the Portuguese who follows other figures such as Manoel de Oliveira, José Saramago, Amália, Siza Vieira or António Guterres.
This will be the 23rd edition of the Portuguese Printing Press Museum initiative that started in 1998, with the theme of “Discoveries” (inaugurated by President Jorge Sampaio in 1999) and has put Portugal on the podium of the worldwide cartoon.
In the twenty-two previous editions, more than 7000 cartoonists from five continents had participated.
General Rules and Regulations
1 MAIN THEME HEALTH
Placed as the 3rd SDG (Sustainable Development Goals), in 2015, HEALTH is today the main pillar for the defense of humanity. COVID-19 – a virus without borders and still uncontrollable – has become the “main threat to the world security”, according to the UN General Secretary, António Guterres.
The fragility of the health services, in dozens of countries and regions of the world, and the lack of water and sanitation, has aggravated the people capacity for health defense. Epidemics claim millions of lives. Vaccines are a sign of hope, but again the poorest are the most unprotected. Even with so many speeches for equality, the tragedy seems to continue. And it is necessary to prevent the spread of the virus from being aggravated by the proliferation of misinformation.
In this context, the role of wise and beautiful humor is central and irreplaceable.
Therefore, PortoCartoon chose HEALTH as the main theme for 2021.
2 SPECIAL AWARDS FOR CARICATURE
MARIA JOÃO PIRES (1944- ) The pianist Maria João Pires is a prominent artist in classical music. She came to be recognized internationally when awarded with the first prize of the international competition of the bicentenary of Beethoven in 1970, in Brussels. Her career includes numerous tours, interpreting works by Bach, Beethoven, Schumann, Schubert, Mozart, Brahms, Chopin and many other composers. Invited by the great world orchestras, she performs regularly in Europe, Canada, Japan, Israel and the USA. “Her way of playing the piano has often been described as magical, captivating and deeply poetic” (Deutsche Grammophon).
Being a dreamer she created a unique work in the relationship between music and nature: Belgais Arts Center (Portugal).
MARTIN LUTHER KING (1929-1968) had a special dream: to create a world of peace for blacks and whites, with freedom and justice. Because of that he was murdered at 39. His dream remains alive, which many want to see dead.
He was a human rights martyr, like others who had followed him, Luther King was one of the first political figures in the United States to express himself, clearly, against racial discrimination. Inspired by Mahatma Gandhi and Henry Thoreau’s theory of civil disobedience, he advocated a peaceful and without weapon fighting. In 1964, he received the Nobel Prize for Peace, becoming at that time, the youngest winner of such an award.
The nowadays situation in the world, the frequent violation of the Human Rights and the need for social transformation for a better and free world for all races - especially the most segregated ones - give relevance to this choice of PortoCartoon 2021. Luther King deserves a special gallery. Likewise, his utopic dreams.
3 Cartoonists can submit works for the MAIN THEME and for the FREE CATEGORY, as in the previous editions.
4 Artists who don’t wish to compete can send us their works EXTRA-COMPETITION, informing of their decision.
5.1. Cartoons must be original. We accept any kind of graphical techniques, including digital artwork sent by e-mail, as long as the drawings are SIGNED BY THE AUTHOR, are identified as PRINT NUMBER ONE and as an original for this contest.
5.2. Can also be presented sculptures pieces of humour, in any kind of material.
6 The artworks cannot exceed the following measurements:
- IN PAPER, 42 x 30 cm (DIN A3);
- SCULPTURE PIECES, 42 x 30 x 30 cm.
7 Cartoons should be sent with the author’s Resumé, in Portuguese or English,
(publications, exhibitions, prizes…) and must be identified on the reverse with the following information:
-Author’s name and address;
- Year, title and theme section.
8 Entries should arrive at the PORTUGUESE PRINTING PRESS MUSEUM until February 15th 2021, along with the filled Entry Form.
9 The works should be sent to:
PortoCartoon-World Festival, The Portuguese Printing Press Museum,
10 The participation in PortoCartoon automatically implies that the author waives copyrights of his works in any kind of platform, concerning the production and diffusion of the festival.
11 The AWARDS, including a TROPHY and a DIPLOMA, will be the following:
Grand Prize PORTOCARTOON 4000 Euro
(half in money and half in Port wine),
travel and stay costs for the Awards Ceremony in Portugal
2nd Prize PORTOCARTOON 1200 Euro
(half in money and half in Port wine),
travel and stay costs for the Awards Ceremony in Portugal
3rd Prize PORTOCARTOON 800 Euro
(half in money and half in Port wine),
travel and stay costs for the Awards Ceremony in Portugal
Special Award for CARICATURE 1st Prize 1000 Euro
(half in money and half in Port wine)
Special Award for CARICATURE 2nd Prize 300 Euro
(half in money and half in Port wine)
Special Award for CARICATURE 3rd Prize 200 Euro
(half in money and half in Port wine)
Honorable Mentions 50 Euro.
12 The organization does not ensure to send prizes on bottles of wine.
13 The Jury will have an odd number of members and its decisions will be final and cannot be subject to any type of appeal or complaint.
14 The awarded works will become property of the PORTUGUESE PRINTING PRESS MUSEUM and will take part of the INTERNACIONAL CARTOON GALLERY. The others will be returned to the artists, if formally requested with the entry form, after the exhibitions (during PortoCartoon and others in different cities and countries).
15 In case of using non-awarded works in other cases except PortoCartoon exhibitions or its promotion, copyright payment will be made to the artists.
16 All the artists whose works are selected for the exhibition will receive a DIGITAL CATALOGUE, that will be sent by e-mail to download. If the artist wants to receive a printed catalogue, he should request it and support the shipment costs.
17 The winning artists will receive the prizes in June 2021, in a public ceremony.
World Cartoon Festival on Applying Arts and Culture in
Silencing the Guns in Africa
Embassy of the Islamic Republic of Iran in Kenya
Over the past two decades, efforts have been made to silence the guns in Africa, and this is a positive turning point for achieving a conflict-free Africa. Despite these efforts, conflicts continue in parts of the African continent. Extremism, the threat of terrorism and transnational crimes on the continent remain an ongoing challenge.
Arms, as the continent's most popular weapon of choice, have attracted the attention of African Union member states and sparked their initiative to put an end to arms in Africa. The main task of this plan is to achieve a conflict-free Africa, prevent genocide, achieve peace for all and clean the African continent of war, violent conflict, human rights abuses and human disasters.
To expedite this plan, the African Union launched the "Silencing the Guns" project in 2020 by mobilizing all stakeholders. But the COVID-19 pandemic in 2020 prevented us from addressing this important issue in Africa properly. The African Union's 2021 theme "Arts, Culture and Heritage" prompted us to use art to keep this important event alive next year and to strive to achieve it.
The Embassy of the Islamic Republic of Iran in Kenya, in line with the efforts of the African Union, decides to hold “World Cartoon Festival on Silencing the Guns" to show that the Islamic Republic of Iran, as in the past, stands with African countries to achieve peace and development on the continent.
World Cartoon Festival on Silencing the Guns in AFrica
1) No to guns in dispute settlement
2) Silencing the guns and the Roots of conflicts (poverty, historical injustice, inequality, climate change, ethnic and tribal disputes)
3) Arms trade and warfare
4) Condemnation of Genocide and war crimes
5) Countering extremism and terrorism
6) Silencing the guns and Human Rights
7) Surrounding of guns and reduction of violent conflicts
8) Effects of Silencing the Guns on the African next generation, generation of peace and dialogue
9) Applying art and culture in silencing the guns
Deadline for sending artworks: 30 April 2021 (before 12 midnight)
- Each cartoonist can send maximum 5 artworks;
- Artworks should be in A4 size and sent in JPEG format with minimum 300DPI resolution;
- Form of entry should be completed for each artwork;
- Submitted artworks must not have received an award previously;
- Any technics and methods can be used;
- Artworks should follow copy right regulations;
- By sending the artwork, the cartoonist guarantee that he/she is creator of the artworks and give permission to the organizer to publish the artworks anywhere it deems necessary freely.
The 1st selected by jury: 4000 US$
The 2nd selected by jury: 3000 US$
The 3rd selected by jury: 2000 US$
Five selected artworks by the juries will also be awarded certificates.
Kenyan artists have the chance to receive three additional awards:
The 1st Kenyan cartoonist selected by jury: 400 US$ + Certificate
The 2nd Kenyan cartoonist selected by jury: 300 US$ + Certificate
The 3rd Kenyan cartoonist selected by jury: 200 US$ + Certificate
The United Nations (UN) was founded following the Second World War by 51 countries including Turkey on October 24, 1945, to realize the noble humanity vision of securing international peace and providing security, supporting sustainable development and safeguarding human rights. Turkey, as a founding member of the United Nations, plays an important role in the fulfillment of various duties of the organization from peacekeeping and peace building to improving the lives of people in need around the world.
UN Turkey and its partners work towards achieving the UN Sustainable Development Goals: The 17 ambitious goals in connection with each other aim to solve the problems faced by people all over the world, including Turkey. One of these goals is GENDER MAINSTREAMING. We can explain the gender mainstreaming, which is the main goal here, within the following scopes:
• Ending all forms of discrimination against women and girls everywhere,
• Eliminating all forms of violence against all women and girls in public and private domains, including woman trafficking and sexual and all forms of abuse,
• Eliminating child marriage, early forced marriage and all harmful practices against women,
• Making policies of public services, infrastructure and social protection regarding unpaid care and housework, and recognition and appreciation of responsibility within the household and family through improving the sharing of responsibility in a nationally appropriate manner, and;
• Ensuring women's full and effective participation in decision-making processes of political, economic and social life and equal opportunities for women to exist in decision-making leadership mechanisms.
IZMIR and especially IZMIR Metropolitan Municipality, which has become a leading example for Turkey with exemplary efforts towards improving the lives of women and girls, is a part "Women Friendly Cities Program" since 2006 and carries the distinction of being the first metropolitan province in being so. This was documented by the "Women Friendly City Certificate" issued in 2009. We can define a "Women Friendly City" in general as a city where the urban rights of women are realized, their participation in local decision-making processes and decision-making mechanisms is ensured, local equality policies that improve women's living conditions and ensure equality of women and men in all areas of life are established, and local services are provided through embedding these policies in the understanding of local government. Established in Izmir Metropolitan Municipality, "Directorate of Women’s studies" sets an example for the sustainability and permanence of the Women Friendly Cities program. Besides, there are Women's Shelters; “Key” Integrated Service Center; Fairy-Tale Houses for women with children; Vocational Factories that prepare women for Employment and Entrepreneurship; and Equality Unit.
Women managers are an example of the given priority of the number of female employees and female employment. IZMIR Metropolitan Municipality gives training on Gender Mainstreaming and provides services that facilitate the life of women in the city while taking into consideration of their rights and freedom through awareness-raising activities carried out on special days including November 25 Combating Violence Against Women; March 8 International Women's Day, December 5 Turkish Women's Right to elect and to be elected, and through conducting mutual work and well-attended meetings with NGOs and Trade Associations.
OBJECTIVE: Cartoonists! Empowering women means empowering the world: Think, draw ... Show everyone what comes to mind when you think about women's rights and empowerment. The areas of interest of our Cartoon contest are as follows.
You can get inspired by the following subjects and much more:
- Women and the Environment - Women in Power and Decision Making - Girls - Women and the Economy - Women and Poverty - Violence against Women - Human Rights of Women - Education of Women - Institutional Mechanisms for the Improvement of Women - Women and Health - Women and Media.
IZMIR METROPOLITAN MUNICIPALITY
INTERNATIONAL CARTOON CONTEST
SUBJECT: GENDER MAINSTREAMING
1. The contest is organized nationally and internationally and is open to amateur and professional cartoonists all over the world.
2. Cartoons that do not abide by the general rules of ethics, that contain insults, serve political purposes, violate personal rights and contain statements that may constitute a crime will be excluded from the contest.
3. Relatives of the selection committee members cannot participate in the contest.
4. Drawing technique is free. Competitors are required to fill in and send the participation form. By completing the participation form, the participant declares and acknowledges his/her consent in advance that he/she is the owner of the work of cartoon(s) that he/she will participate in the contest with and is vested with these work(s) and the participant grants license to IZMIR Metropolitan Municipality as defined under the provisions of Articles numbered 21-25 of the Law of Turkish Intellectual and Artistic Works No. 5846, as the economic rights of communication to the public in the form of a non-exclusive license, without limitation of any place, time and number, and in a way that includes the right to transfer to third parties by means of processing, reproducing, disseminating, representing and transferring signs, sounds and/or images and that IZMIR Metropolitan Municipality may use the cartoon(s) in any way it wishes by exhibiting, keeping in the archive, reproducing and publishing on the internet and in other ways, and furthermore, the participant cannot claim any price from the Municipality for this reason.
5. Cartoons will only be admitted to the specified e-mail address through the internet. Cartoon sizes should be maximum A3 (29.7 x 42 cm) and 300 dpi resolution in RGB and jpg format. They should be sent without using a compression program such as ZIP or RAR.
6. Cartoons to be sent should not have been awarded in any national or international contest before. Cartoons that the selection committee deems the same or similar or that belong to another cartoonist will not be evaluated.
7. The Cartoons that made it to the finals against similar claims will be exhibited on IZMIR Metropolitan Municipality website and social media for a week. Objections received after this period will not be taken into consideration and the decision of the jury will be final.
8. Cartoons that are found to be similar will be excluded from the contest. In the event of such a determination, the works selected as a backup will be awarded. The participant will be responsible for any possible discussions and stolen and similar claims.
9. Participants can send a maximum of 5 Cartoons.
10. Cartoons should be sent to the firstname.lastname@example.org address with the title of "Izmir Metropolitan Municipality International Cartoon Contest" until February 1, 2021, at 17:00.
11. The money awards won by the participants in the contest will be transferred to the bank IBAN that they have sent us. The award winner must complete, sign and send the required documents, along with the IBAN. Situations that may arise due to the failure of the award owner to declare the IBAN or to be unable to receive the award price due to various reasons expire at the end of 1 year after the results are announced. In the event of a time-lapse, the right holder cannot demand any awards, royalties, etc. In case of disputes that may arise between the IZMIR Metropolitan Municipality and the participant, the jury's arbitration is sought first, if no result is reached, IZMIR Courts will be authorized to resolve the disputes.
12. Among the cartoons sent to the contest, the works selected by the jury and deemed worthy of the exhibition will be collected in an album to be organized by IZMIR Metropolitan Municipality. This album will only be sent to the participants who were placed in the contest and whose work was published. No additional fee is paid for the works selected for the album.
13. At the end of the contest, the works which have won an award, honorary mention, gained the right to be exhibited and to be put in the album will belong to IZMIR Metropolitan Municipality indefinitely together with the owner of the work based on the processing defined in Article 21, reproduction defined in Article 22, dissemination defined in Article 23, representation defined in Article 24, and the economic rights of communication to the public by means of transferring signs, sounds and/or images defined in Article 25 of the Law on Intellectual and Artistic Works numbered 5846. Within the framework of these rights, IZMIR Metropolitan Municipality can use or provide the usage of the work indefinitely within or outside of Turkey, in Turkish or in any other world languages, in all kinds of media and material content by specifying the name of the author. No additional fee is paid for the works selected for these uses. No fees will be paid to the Consultant Members who take part in the contest. All participants who submit their work to the contest are deemed to have accepted the above conditions.
First Prize: 15,000 TL
Second Prize: 10,000 TL
Third Prize: 5,000 TL
Honorable Mention (3): 2,000 TL.
Cemalettin Güzeloğlu – Cartoonist
Canol Kocagöz – Cartoonist
Eray Özbek – Cartoonist
Menekşe Çam – Cartoonist
Görkem Şengüler – Illustrator
Hilal Bayındır – Illustrator.
Neptün Soyer – Teacher
Izel Zenginobuz – IMM (Izmir Metropolitan Municipality) Deputy Chairman of Child and Family Commission, Lawyer
Nilay Kökkılınç – IMM Head of Gender Mainstreaming Commission, Lawyer.
Ömer Çam – IMM Directorate of Vocational Factory, Cartoonist
Mert Gültekin – IMM Directorate of Culture and Art.
The deadline is until February 1, 2021, at 17:00.
The jury evaluation meeting will be held on February 5, 2021.
The publication of the final works will be announced on 8 February 2021.
The final results of the contest will be announced on 15 February 2021.
The cartoons deemed worthy of the exhibition by the jury will be exhibited at the date; time and place determined by the Izmir Metropolitan Municipality.
Note: Izmir Metropolitan Municipality reserves the right to make changes in this specification if deemed necessary.