3rd SICAF International Digital Cartoon Competition 2008
Deadline: February 28, 2008
Rules and Regulations
1. Qualifications: Your work should hold major characteristics of cartoon & comics, and should be viewable using digital techniques. You should be the copyright holder of the artwork you submit. Only original, unpublished works, without any previous award-winning or competition selection history and any commercially used history, are qualified. Works entered in previous SICAF Digital Competition cannot be submitted again.
2. Theme and Official Languages
There is no special theme designated by the organizing committee. The official languages of the competition are Korean and English.
A) Web-Cartoon: 1 to 4 frame web-based cartoon
B) Web-Comics: No limitation on number of episodes, but the submitted should have a complete narrative structure as a story
C) Digital Illustration: Illustration made of Computer Graphics (ex. 2D, 3D, 2D+3D composite works)
4. Technical Requirements
- Web-Cartoon: 1 to 4 frame cartoon viewable in a web browser (I.E. Version 6.0, Firefox Version 2.0). Max. width 800 pixel, no limit on height.
- Web-Comics - Scroll Cartoon: Max. width 800 pixel, no limit on height. Viewable in a web browser (I.E. Version 6.0, Firefox Version 2.0). No limitation on length, but should have a complete narrative structure as a story.
- Mobile Cartoon: Each cut should be smaller than 400*400pixel (320*240pixel recommended). Viewable in browsers of mobile devices such as cell phone, PMP, etc. About 30 cuts for one episode. No limit on number of episodes, but the submitted should have a complete narrative structure as a story.
-Digital Illustration: 1280(height) * 960pixel(width) or 960 (height) * 1280 pixel (width). Based on the characteristics or work and need of producers. Illustration made of Computer Graphics (ex. 2D, 3D, 2D+3D composite works).
NOTES: Sound source should be owned by the producer, or should not be copyright-protected.
- Acceptable file format: jpg or gif
- Min. resolution = 150dpi
- swf (550*400)
- Choose the color you want: Black/White or Color, both OK
- Official Language: KO and/or EN
- In Web Cartoons and Web Comics, a special focus will be given on digital media factors working well within the overall artwork. Subject, movement of background, sound and other elements may be such factors that could be used to utilize the
advantage of digital media.
A) Please enter your work in the appropriate format. You may choose from the following modes of implementation: the internet, mobile, or other digital media.
B) If you are submitting something not in either .jpg or .gif format, you must specify the viewer software or tool which can open the file. The specific viewer software should be submitted along with the artworks.
C) If the works contain texts in languages other than the official languages (English or Korean), English translation should be submitted with the artwork.
5. How to enter your work
A) No registration fee is required
B) You can submit works in more than one category.
C) Entry Deadline: All forms and materials must be submitted no later than Feb. 28, 2008. Works received after this date will not be considered for selection.
D) Please make sure to include ALL of the following:
- Entry Form: One entry form is required for each work. Only completed and signed entry forms will be accepted.
- Producer’s photo or caricature
- 3 digital color images representing your work (min.6cm x 8cm, 300dpi or higher)
- Text or dialogue list in Korean or English (If the entrants fail to submit English text or dialogues, the selection will be solely based on the artwork itself. Texts and dialogues will not be put into consideration.)
- Your original work
E) All materials should be submitted to: Official Website : http://www.sicaf.org/
For any questions, please contact : email@example.com
* Offline submission is not available.
- Please submit your work on-line at our official website, www.sicaf.org.
- Any modification should be made only on and before the entry deadline. Modification after the deadline is not allowed.
-The Selection Committee is responsible for the Preliminaries, choosing works to advance into the final round of competition.
-Members of the Selection Committee, all of whom must be cartoon & comics professional, will be appointed by the Chairman of SICAF.
-None of members must be, in any way, involved in the production and/or distribution of works submitted for selection. The Committee members will elect their President at the first Committee meeting.
-The selection result will be announced no later than April 9, 2008 on the SICAF official web-site (http://www.sicaf.org/) and by the SICAF e-mail newsletter.
-Should you wish to withdraw a submitted work, you should delete your file on official web-site by Feb 28, 2007. No request for withdrawal after the deadline will be accepted.
- Final selection will take place in April, 2008, and this time the International Jury is responsible to decide the award-winning works.
- The International Jury members, all of whom must be cartoon & comics professionals, will be appointed by the Chairman of SICAF, and will be announced no later than April 23,2008, on SICAF official website.
- 40% of the Jury will be non-Korean professionals invited from abroad, and no Jury member must be, in any way, involved in the production and/or distribution of works presented in competition.
-The decision of the International Jury will be considered final, and no objections regarding the decisions will be accepted.
Grand Prize: 10,000
Gold Prize: 5,000
Silver Prize: 3,000 each
Bronze Prize: 2,000 each
Netizen’s Choice: 1,000
Jury Special Prize (USD): 1,000 each
*1USD = 1,000KRW approximately. Foreign exchange rate is subject to change.
9. Exclusion on selection and Annulment of Award Decision
A) An entry will not be considered for selection in any of the following:
- Entry form is not completed and the entrant’s information is not clearly provided
- Information on the entry form is not faithful to the truth
- The entrant is not the copyright holder of the work.
B) Awards / award decisions may be annulled when:
- The entrant is not the copyright holder of work.
- The work has been awarded or selected at any previous competition.
- The work is found to be a plagiarism of, or closely similar to other works.
- The SICAF Organizing Committee will provide Korean translations of non-Korean works selected for the final competition. We will bear all expenses of translation only if the SBA Seoul Animation Center receives the complete English text of the dialogue and commentary. The Korean translation will remain as the property of SICAF and SBA Seoul Animation Center. Korean translation will be exhibited with the artwork during the festival period.
- Non-English texts should be translated in English by the entrants themselves, at their own expense.
- Award-winners will be invited to come for the awarding ceremony and festival. We will be happy to cover the costs for award winners as follows:
Grand Prize / Gold Prize / Silver Prize / Bronze Prize / Jury Special Prize/ Netizen’s Choice winners
: Festival accreditation
: Flight expenses, Accommodation and meal allowances
- The invitation is not transferable under any circumstances
- Flight expense, accommodation, and meal allowances are provided only to the winner whose residence is out of Korea. If a team work, produced by 2 or more, wins any of the prizes, only one of the producers will be entitled to the hospitality.
12. Promotional Use
- All selected works for the final competition will be exhibited at SICAF exhibition venue. For promotion purposes, they may appear in all related catalogues and pamphlets published by the SICAF Organizing Committee and on the Internet. Third party rights protection is also guaranteed.
- With the agreement of producers, award-winning works may be published for a certain period of time on digital media, including main and other pages of portals or cartoon web sites for promotional purposes. They can also be published in a book, as a compilation titled “SICAF Digital Cartoon Competition Winners.”
- After the closing of the festival, the SICAF Organizing Committee is granted the right to reproduce award winning works and selected works for promotion purpose. The SICAF Organizing Committee obtains a non-exclusive right to use the works without any further contract with the entrants.
- For promotional use, the entrants may be requested to provide artworks with higher-definition.
- Any other proposed use outside of the Festival will be referred by the SICAF Organizing Committee to the entrants for direct negotiation.
- Each entrant should hold all the license and permission to use the materials and softwares used to create the entering work, including graphic software packages for creating artworks.
- All materials submitted for selection will not be returned.
- Matters not mentioned in this document will be decided by the SICAF Organizing Committee.
- By submitting the entry form for SICAF 2008 International Digital Cartoon Competition, the entrant accepts, without reservation, the terms of the present regulations as stated in this document.