Annual Cartoon Contest – Rules and regulation 2012
All contestants will be admitted with no distinction made regarding nationality or age. There are two categories:
• Youth category up to 15 years inclusive;
• Adult category: 16 years and older.
Both professional and non-professional cartoonists are allowed to participate in this contest.
The main theme is ’Puzzles and puzzlers’. Also this year Amnesty International offers a special prize to the best cartoon with theme ‘everyone has right to energy’.
• Contributions have to be originally drawn or printed (digital works) cartoons, in black and white or colour. They shouldn’t contain an explanation of the drawing.
• Dimensions including any passe-partout 21 x 30 cm (A4).
• Works sent rolled and works larger than DIN A4 will not be returned. The cartoons should be appropriately wrapped before sending in order to prevent damage.
• Number of entries per contestant: maximum five.
• Following data should be mentioned on the back of your work: name, adress, age and theme.
4. Property rights
Prize-winning works will become the property of the organizer or the major sponsors. All works selected may be used by the organizers to promote the contest and the village of Olen.
Decisions made by the jury cannot be challenged.
6. Catalogue/Cartoon book
Selected works will be considered for inclusion in a catalogue. The authors of these works will receive a free copy of the catalogue during the prize ceremony or it will be send afterwards by mail.
7. Return mail
Return of the cartoons happens only on explicit request of the participant, as mentioned in the entry form. Every cartoon meeting with the demands but which is not selected for a prize will be sent back within two years. The organizers will endeavour to handle the return forwardings with the utmost care but cannot be held responsible for loss or damages.
8. Deadline: 24 September 2012
The deadline is 24 september 2012. The entry form and the cartoon(s) must be sent to:
B-2250 Olen - Belgium
For the adult category:
1st prize: 1000 euro
2nd prize: 400 euro
3rd prize: 250 euro
4th prize: 200 euro
5th prize: 150 euro.
For the youth category:
1st prize: 225 euro
2nd prize: 200 euro
3rd prize: 175 euro
4th prize: 125 euro.
Prize of the city of Bialogard (only for Polish participants): 200 euro
Special prize: “poverty and human rights”: 350 euro.
10. Prize Ceremony and Exhibition
The prize ceremony will take place at Friday 9 November 2012 at approximately 20.00 h in the council room of the town hall of Olen, Dorp 1, 2250 Olen. Every participating artist will be welcome on that occasion.
Only the winners are personally invited.
A selection of the cartoons will also be exhibited at the same address an can be visited:
• Sunday 11 November 2012
• All working days from Monday 14 November 2011 till the end of January 2013 during the opening hours of the town hall:
o Monday 09.00 u – 12.00 u 13.00 u – 16.00 u 17.30 u – 20.00 u
o Tuesday 09.00 u – 12.00 u
o Wednesday 09.00 u – 12.00 u 13.00 u – 16.00 u
o Thursday 09.00 u – 12.00 u
o Friday 09.00 u – 12.00 u.
Entry Form here .
WEB: http://www.olen.be/ .
Regulation in languages .
British Pathé: Unused Film Featuring Cartoonist David Low (1950) - If you go in to about the 19 second mark in this thirty-one second bit of unseen editing-room-floor film, you can watch British cartoonist David Low drawin...
1 hour ago