Say NO to "violence against Women!"
We are taking on another global societal issue after covering child marriages. “Violence against Women” will be the theme of 12th Don Quichotte Caricature Contest. Violence against women and childs is one of the most widespread violations of human rights. Some national studies show that up to 70% of women have experienced physical and/or sexual violence in their lifetime from an intimate partner. To raise awareness and trigger action to end this global scourge, the UN observes International Day for the Elimination of Violence against Women on 25 November. Unfortunately, violence against women and girls is deep-rooted in our societies and the international observance serves as a symbol of resistance as well as a call to action to eliminate gendered physical, economic and psychological violence. Violence against Women has been increasing in emerging countries. Femicide-killing women because of their gender- is a longstanding issue in the world. For example, there were 430 female homicides in 2019 alone in Turkey. Although illegal, child marriage in Turkey remains also prevalent along with countries such as India, Iran, Mexico, Ethiopia, Chad and Niger. The purpose of this contest is to bring global awareness to this issue through the lens of caricaturists around the world and encourage solutions that will end this social crisis.
Rules of the competition:
1) Joining the competition is possible only via internet (with cv+address): firstname.lastname@example.org .
2) All submitted pieces of work should be participating in a contest for the first time. In the event of violation of this requirement, any awarded prizes shall be returned.
3) The caricatures are to be submitted in A3 size, with a resolution of 300 dpi and in Jpeg format (black and white or colour, no restriction as to technical colour processing).
4) The closing date of the competition is 31.03.2020.
5) Based upon the submitted caricatures, the jury will pre-select 100 finalists from April 10 to 20, 2020. These finalists will then be presented on social media platforms and on Don Quichotte's websites for the following 10 days.
6) The jury will evaluate the pre-selected works of art from May 1 to 7, 2020 and publish the results on May 15, 2020.
7) The award ceremony will take place in line with the exhibition opening in June in Stuttgart.
8) Submitted caricatures will be securely stored within Don Quichotte's archives. For any use other than contest related, permission shall be seeked from each author prior to use.
9) A contest catalogue shall be issued in pdf format and published.
- First Prize: 750 Euro+DQ Medal
- Second Prize: 500 Euro+DQ Medal
- Third Prize: 250 Euro+DQ Medal
- Special Awards (Certificates).
- Farzane Vaziritabar (Iran)
- Aslı Alpar (Turkey)
- Erdogan Karayel (Germany)
- Adriana Mosquera (Spain)
- Anne Derenne (France)
- Cristina Sompaio (Portugal)
- Doaa Eladl (Egypt)
- Elena Ospina (Colombia)
- Marina Bondarenko (Russia)
- Marlene Pohle (Argentina)
- Martha Barragan Mar (Mexico)
- Maya Tcholakova (Bulgaria)
- Natalia Forcat (Brazil)
- Nicoleta Ionescu (Romania)
- Ramize Erer (Turkey-France)
- Shiva Zamanfar (Iran).
- Elif Özer (Turkey).
Source: Erdoğan Karayel.