22nd World Press Freedom Canada International Editorial Cartoon Competition
1. The theme for the 22nd International Editorial Cartoon Competition is:
Silence is golden
Cancel culture has become a source of our newest cultural cleavage.
Whether it be on social media or at live events, 'cancelling' someone has become a modern day version of excommunication and is being used as a weapon by political partisans both left and right to discourage civil discourse and media freedom.
In opposing systemic racism, misogyny and xenophobia, progressives feel the need to resort to extreme tactics in an attempt to be heard.
Fearing that history is being re-written, traditionalists, for their part, use cancel culture to silence critics and whitewash history's wrongs.
2. Three prizes will be awarded: a first prize of $1,500 plus a Certificate from the Canadian Commission for UNESCO, a second prize of $750 and a third prize of $500. All sums are in Canadian dollars. Ten additional cartoons will receive an Award of Excellence, which are not remunerated.
3. Only one cartoon may be submitted by each participant, either in colour or black and white, but must not have won an award previously.
4. The size of the cartoon should not exceed A4 (21 x 29.2 cm) or 8.5 x 11 inches, and should be in jpeg or pdf format at 300 dpi.
5. The name, address, telephone number and a short biography of the participant must be included in the submission.
6. World Press Freedom Canada reserves the right to use the winning cartoons for promotion of the Cartoon Competition.
7. The winners of the Cartoon Competition will be announced on World Press Freedom Day on Tuesday May 3, 2022 and will be notified by e-mail.
8. The winners' names and their cartoons will be posted on our website.
9. Submission deadline is Friday, April 8, 2022 at midnight EDT.
Send submission by e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Post a Comment