Annnual Cartoon Contest – Rules and regulation 20201. Participation
All contestants will be admitted with no distinction made regarding nationality or age. There are two categories:
• Youth category up to 15 years inclusive;
• Adult category: 16 years and older.
Both professional and non-professional cartoonists are allowed to participate in this contest.
The main theme is ‘Shopping: yesterday, today, tomorrow’. This year Amnesty International offers the best cartoon with the theme ‘There is nothing wrong with solidarity, so certainly don’t prosecute’. More information about the theme Amnesty International is to be found in annex to this regulation.
• Contributions have to be digital works. They shouldn’t contain an explanation of the drawing.
• The digital works have to be sent in JPEG format with a minimum of resolution of 300 dpi (2480 x 3543 pixels).
• Dimensions including any passe-partout 21 x 30 cm (A4).
• Number of entries per contestant: maximum five for each theme.
• You have to record your contact details through www.olensekartoenale.be .
• You can sign up your participation from 1 July 2020.
• The originals of the rewarded cartoons and your curriculum vitae will be asked and must be sent to
Community Olen, Dorp 1, 2250 Olen, Belgium within 2 days after the request of the organization.
4. Property rights
Prize-winning works will become the property of the organizer or theme sponsor. All works selected may be used by the organizers to promote the contest and the village of Olen.
The jury consists of artists, cartoonists and laymen. Decisions made by the jury cannot be challenged.
6. Catalogue/Cartoon book
Selected works will be considered for inclusion in a catalogue. The authors of these works will receive a free copy of the catalogue during the prize ceremony or it will be send afterwards by mail.
7. Deadline: 14 September 2020
The deadline is 14 september 2020 at 12.00 AM midnight. The entry form you can find on
www.olensekartoenale.be where you also can upload your works. Do not send your works to firstname.lastname@example.org.
For the adult category:
1st prize: 1500 euro
2nd prize: 700 euro
3rd prize: 400 euro
4th prize: 300 euro
Prize of the city of Bialogard (only for Polish participants): 200 euro
Special prize Amnesty International: 350 euro
For the youth category:
Prize for best international work: 250 euro
Prize for best Belgian work: 250 euro
9. Prize Ceremony and Exhibition
The prize ceremony will take place at Friday 13 November 2020 at approximately 20.00 h in the council room of the town hall of Olen, Dorp 1, 2250 Olen. Every participating artist will be welcome on that occasion. Only the winners are personally invited.
A selection of the cartoons will also be exhibited at the same address and can be visited:
• Sunday 15 November 2020
• All working days from Monday 17 November 2020 till the end of December 2020 during
the opening hours of the town hall:
o Monday 09.00 u – 12.00 u13.00 u – 16.00 u17.30 u – 20.00 u
o Tuesday 09.00 u – 12.00 u
o Wednesday 09.00 u – 12.00 u13.00 u – 16.00 u
o Thursday 09.00 u – 12.00 u
o Friday 09.00 u – 12.00 u
Nowadays showing solidarity and helping each other is often regarded as a crime. More and more people who want to help refugees, asylum seekers and migrants are being threatened, intimidated and harassed. They are put on trial and convicted only because they want to help people in need.
When governments punish and condemn natural acts of solidarity, it threatens our own values and human rights.
Source in languages: https://www.olen.be/product/884/olense-kartoenale.